Sunday, November 14, 2010

London Sights

It is time to share again about my Europe travel. This time I will show a bit of London, the capital of England and the largest metropolitan area in United Kingdom.

It has been two years now since I visited this city. Thanks to the many photographs I took which always reminds me of my travel in this very interesting city. We stayed in a cheap hotel in London during our visit. Since it is one of the most expensive city in Europe, I would like to suggest that you better plan your trip ahead. When doing so, you can have enough time to find affordable flights and cheap hotels in or around this city.

Here are some of the must-to see sights when you are visiting London.

1. Tower Bridge

Don't get confused with London Bridge and Tower Bridge. They are exactly different. Thanks to my friend from UK who explained to me about these bridges. Remember the song, "London bridge is falling down"? I believed you are very familiar with it. I thought it is really the London bridge that is falling down but I was wrong. The Tower Bridge is a movable or a kind of a bascule and suspension bridge over the River Thames. It is a very famous symbol of London.

I have here an image for you to see. This was taken during my visit last October 2008.

2. Buckingham Palace

It is located in the city of Westminster and the official residence of the British monarch. It is also one of the major tourist attraction of this city.

3. The Big Ben and the Palace of Westminster

Since the Big Ben is just located on the north end of the Palace of Westminster in London, you will surely have the chance to see both. It is said that the Big Ben is the largest four-faced chiming clock and the third-tallest free-standing clock tower in the world. How amazing it is to see it live!

4. The London Eye or the The Merlin Entertainments London Eye

Don't miss riding the biggest and the tallest Ferris Wheel in Europe! It is formerly called the British Airways London Eye. Some people also call it the Millennium Wheel. It was formally opened on December 31, 1999 by former Prime Minister Tony Blair. You can have a great panorama view of the city of London when riding this Ferris wheel. The Palace of Westminster and the Big Ben are very visible when your up high inside one of its capsule.

I had the chance to ride it also....alone!

5. St. Paul's Cathedral

This is where the wedding of Charles, Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer took place. The cathedral is one of London's most famous and most recognisable sights. From 1710 to 1962, it was the tallest building in London and its dome is also among the highest in the world.

There are still a lot of attractions and sights in London. Some of which include Kensington Palace, Tower of London, Shard of Glass (currently under construction), Madame Tussaud's, Canary Wharf, and the 2012 Olympic Park. Don’t miss these sights – I recommend doing a London tour so that you can see and learn about London’s history and landmarks.

No comments:

ShareThis