Saturday, May 21, 2011

Paris Sightseeing

I miss Paris! This is one of the beautiful cities I visited in Europe. The capital city of France is dubbed as the "City of Lights" and "Capital of Fashion". I had been to this city twice and I am lucky to get some cheap flights to Paris during my trips. I am still planning to visit again this city in the future because there are still some sights and attractions that I did not see during my previous trips.

For now, I want to share the top 3 famous sights I visited in Paris.

Eiffel Tower

There are a lot of interesting and beautiful sights in Paris but its iconic symbol is the Eiffel Tower. This magnificent tower was built in 1889 and was named after its designer Gustave Eiffel.

I had seen this structure twice but I never had the chance to go up to the tower. That is also the reason why I want to go back to Paris.

the Eiffel Tower during my second visit to Paris last August 2010.

Arc de Triomphe

I had seen the replica of Arc de Triomphe in Paris Las Vegas. The Siegestor, a triumphal arch in Munich, the Brandenburger Tor in Berlin and the Arch of Constantine in Rome, also looks like almost the same as the Arc of Triomphe in Paris. I was able to visit all of these historical monuments but the Arc de Triomphe in Paris is very much unique and much more beautiful.

Called in English as Triumphal Arch or the Arch of Triumph, it honors those who fought and died for France in the French Revolutionary and the Napoleonic Wars. It was designed by Jean Chalgrin in 1806.

Notre Dame Cathedral

Also known as Our Lady of Paris, it is an impressing Gothic Catholic cathedral on the eastern half of the Ile de la Cite. It was the inspiration for Victor Hugo's novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame. This is a very interesting architecture because it was among the first buildings in the world to use the flying buttress, some sort of arched exterior supports.

There are a lot of important events that took place in this cathedral such as the beatification and canonization of Joan of Arc, the marriage of James V of Scotland and Madeleine, Mass celebrated by Pope John Paul II and many more. No wonder this Cathedral has become one of the famous sights in Paris.

Notre Dame Cathedral and the Seine River. taken during my second visit last August 2010.

There are still a lot of stunning landmarks in Paris. The Pantheon, Sacré Coeur, Catacombs, Sainte Chapelle, Assemblée Nationale, are only some of it. Versailles is also worth to see. Paris is also home to famous museums and galleries such as the the Louvre, Musée d'Orsay, Les Invalides, Picasso Museum and a lot more.

I guess, I am very lucky to go inside the Louvre Museum during my first visit in Paris.

1 comment:

pilgrimchick said...

I cringe every time I say that I haven't yet visited Paris. All of these places are on my "to see" list.

ShareThis