Thursday, March 22, 2012

Sightseeing in Stratford-Upon-Avon

Let's go travel the world again. I had the pleasure to travel some of the interesting destinations in Europe. This time I will bring you to one of the lovely towns in England. Almost four years had past since my last visit in England. One of the interesting places I visited during my three weeks trip there was Stratford-Upon-Avon. I love this historic town in south Warwickshire. It is truly a worth-to-visit one.

My trip to England was not actually planned. I just found one of those cheap flights online while browsing the internet. I also decided to go there because one of my friends invited me to visit England.

There are a lot of affordable flights when you want to go for a holiday to any destination in the United Kingdom. You can also find affordable British Airways flights when flying to England. International BA flights originate from London Heathrow and a number of routes from London Gatwick and Manchester.

Here are some of the sights I visited when I was in Stratford-Upon-Avon.

Shakespeare's Birthplace- It is amazing how this house was preserved and can be visited until now. This is a must-see when visiting the town. It is located in Henley Street, one of the town's oldest street. It is the home of the famous playwright and poet William Shakespeare. You can also found a garden in the area.

Shakespeare's birthhouse during our visit last November 2008.

Holy Trinity Church- If you want to see the burial of William Shakespeare, you have to visit this church. I am honoured to visit even just the tomb of Shakespeare and his immediate family. Entrance is free inside the church but but those viewing the grave are asked to make a donation. I guess to forgot to give when I was there.

A Walk to the Waterside & Southern Lane- This is one thing I loved during our visit in the town. The are runs from the foot of Bridge Street that crosses River Avon to Holy Trinity Church and leads directly off Sheep Street and Scholars Lane. It runs alongside the River Avon and offers access to the Waterside Theatre and all areas of the RST. We did not see any street performers in the areabecause it was winter when we visited it. It is only during summer months when you often see street performers performing to the public on the lawns.

A bridge that crosses River Avon.

We also passed-by the Royal Shakespeare Theatre, the Clock Tower and a walk to the Sheep Street. I still wish to go to Stratford to visit Ann Hathaway's Cottage. We were not able to go to this romantic cottage due to lack of time. We also missed the Falstaff Experience there. So far, it was an interesting trip we had in Stratford-Upon-Avon.

No comments:

ShareThis