Friday, February 11, 2011

My Euro Travel in Heidelberg Castle, Germany

Let's go travel Europe again! This time we will be visiting Germany and I will be featuring the city of Heidelberg. For me, it is one of the most beautiful cities I visited in Germany. Visiting Heidelberg without going to its castle seems not complete. You know why? The ruins of Heidelberg Castle rank with the Acropolis of Athens and the Palace of Versailles among the sights worth seeing in Europe. Thanks to the travel book that I previously read about Heidelberg.

Actually, you can take a walk to the castle along the so-called Philosopher's Way which may only take from 10 to 15 minutes depending on your walk. We took the so-called Bergbahn, a modernized funicular during our visit. I actually forgot now how much we paid for that ride back and forth. If I am not mistaken around 5.00 Euros.

I have some pictures here taken during my visit with friends last November 2010.

The west side of Heidelberg Castle.


View from Stück-garden upon the ruins of the Rondells, the Heidelberg Old Town and Old Bridge. You can also see the tower of the Church of the Holy Spirit.

the entrance to the castle.

The earliest castle structure was built before AD 1214 and later expanded into 2 castles circa 1294; however, in 1537, a lightning-bolt destroyed the upper castle. The present structures had been expanded by 1650, before damage by later wars and fires. In 1764, another lightning-bolt destroyed some rebuilt sections.

No comments:

ShareThis