Saturday, April 2, 2011

St. Peter's Square in Manchester, England

I had the chance to visit England in 2008. One of the cities I visited was Manchester. I can still remember our experience when visiting this city. I wish I can share it next time. Thanks to my friend, who brought me there and showed me the city.

I have here some images taken during my visit last November 2008.

The area around St Peter's Square was previously known as St Peter's Field , which went down in history as the location of the 1819 Peterloo Massacre. The name derives from St Peter's Church which was built where the gardens are today in the late 18th century and also gave its name to Peter Street. It was a building in Classical style (architect James Wyatt: built 1788-94) and once famous for its church music. It was demolished in 1907 and the Cenotaph replaced it in 1924. A stone cross (1908) commemorates the church. The square is the site for the city's Remembrance Day commemoration each year.

To the west of the square is Peter Street, on which is the Midland Hotel and to the east is Oxford Street.

Metrolink trams from Altrincham and Eccles serve two platforms in the west of the square which are located directly in front of Manchester Central Library. The square is located southeast of Manchester Town Hall and it is between Deansgate-Castlefield and Piccadilly Gardens.

To the west of the square is Peter Street, on which is the Midland Hotel and to the east is Oxford Street. more here

No comments:

ShareThis