Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Arch of Constantine in Rome, Italy

It's been almost a year now since my first visit in Rome, Italy. It was one of the most interesting trip I had in Europe. Rome, the capital city of Italy has a lot to offer to its guests and visitors like me. A three-day visit is not enough to see everything there but I am very happy and contented that I was in Rome once in my life.

One of the sights we visited was the Arch of Constantine, known in Italian as Arco di Costantino. Like the Arch of Triumph in Paris, France or the Siegestor in Munich, Germany, the Arch of Constantine is also a triumphal arch in Rome. It is located between the Colosseum and the Palatine Hill.

taken last August 2010 during my visit together with Nonna, a friend from the U.S.

It was erected to commemorate Constantine I's victory over Maxentius at the Battle of Milvian Bridge on October 28, 312. Dedicated in 315, it is the latest of the existing triumphal arches in Rome, from which it differs by spolia, the extensive re-use of parts of earlier buildings.

The arch is 21 m high, 25.9 m wide and 7.4 m deep. It has three archways, the central one being 11.5 m high and 6.5 m wide, the lateral archways 7.4 m by 3.4 m each. The top (called attic) is brickwork reveted with marble. A staircase formed in the thickness of the arch is entered from a door at some height from the ground, in the end towards the Palatine Hill. wikipedia

1 comment:

Ian | GoingRoamingWandering said...

Rome is definitely one of the best places to see in Europe. I hope to visit it as well someday and see most of its known historical and romantic sites.

ShareThis