Friday, January 20, 2012

Places to See in the Apulia Region, Italy

I had the chance to visit some cities and places in Italy. Among the few I visited include Rome, Venice, Verona, Cinque Terre, Sanremo, Pietra Ligure, Vicenza and other towns and cities we happened to pass-by during the many Italy tours I participated in the past. I know that there are a lot of interesting places to visit in Italy and there are still towns and cities I wish to visit in the future. One of it is the beautiful region of Apulia which lies in the southeastern part of Italy.

the old and historical town of Rio Maggiore in Cinque Terre, Italy during our trip last spring 2011.

There are a lot of lovely and charming towns and cities in Apulia. Here are some of the few that I wish to visit in the future.

Bari- I am happy for a friend who had a chance to take a cruise in this part of Italy. It is located on the Adriatic coast. It is the capital of Apulia and also its largest and most important city. Among the sights that I wish to visit are the Bari Vecchia,the Palazzo del Catapano, the Church of Saint Gregory, Basilica of Saint Nicholas and the Cathedral of Saint Sabino. Most of all, I would like to take a walk along its waterfront.

Foggia- Being dubbed as the "granary of Italy", I believed that this city is also a worth-to-see. I would love to see its main sights including the Church of the Crosses, the Cathedral of Santa Maria de Fovea, the Arch of Frederick II and the Palazzo Dogana. Tasting some of its local foods is also on my list.

Lecce- I haven't been to Florence yet and visiting Lecce is also a feeling that you are in Florence. You know why? Lecce with impressive baroque buildings is dubbed as the "Florence of the South". The Obelisk, the Holy Cross Church, the Piazza S. Oronzo, the Lecce Cathedral and the Porta Napoli are only some of the interesting sights I wish to see in this city.

1 comment:

Mhie Lee said...

this is one of my dream place...hope i can go this year?nice post.

ShareThis