Monday, April 23, 2012

Sights Not To Miss When Visiting Birmingham, England

Have you been to Birmingham? There are a lot of Birmingham places around the world and I am particularly talking here about Birmingham in England. I am glad that I was able to visit this city and experience most of its sights. I was forced to visit England last 2008 because I found a cheap flight online. As far as I can remember the return ticket I booked from Ryanair last autumn 2008 only cost around 75.00 Euros. That was really very cheap.

Here are of the sights I recommend not to miss when you are there.

Victoria Square- This is one of the areas I love in Birmingham. It was formerly called the Council House Square but was renamed on January 10, 1901, to honour Queen Victoria. Her statue was erected an unveiled here. The Town Hall and the Council House are also located in this square. One thing that caught my attention during our visit was a woman statue in the middle of "The River", better known as The Floozie in the Jacuzzi, in front of the Council House. It is nice to sit and relax on this beautiful square in Birmingham especially during summer season.

The Town Hall in Victoria Square, Birmingham. I was there last 2008.

Birmingham Central Library- This library is located near Victoria Square. It is the main public library in Birmingham, England and the also considered as the largest non-national library in Europe. The Bournville Village Trust Archive, the Boulton and Watt collection, Canal Historical Society Library and the Charles Parker Archive and the Railway are only some of the special collections in this library.

Canals in Birmingham- I am thankful that my friend also toured me in this area of Birmingham. We had a walk along the Canals of Birmingham in the city center and I found it very interesting especially seeing the sights along it. This is one of the best ways to explore Birmingham City.

The Canals of Birmingham. I love the walk we had here.

It is said that Birmingham has more canals than Venice in the middle of the 18th Century. Imagine a city having 174 miles of canal. Now only 114 miles of them remain as navigable water, most of the rest has completely disappeared.

Bullring Shopping Center- If you love shopping, this place would be a paradise for you since this is the major commercial area in Birmingham. This shopping center houses the first Forever 21 store in Europe, one of only four Selfridges department stores and the fourth largest Debenhams.

The Selfridges building in Bullring Shopping Center.

I am quite contented walking around inside this mall and did some window shopping. I also admire the architecture of the Selfridges building in Bullring Shopping Center. Never miss this famous shopping mall when visiting Birmingham.

There are still a lot of sights to see in this city. I might not be able to see everything but at least, I have seen the most interesting ones. I wish I could stay longer in England that time but I guess a three-week stay is already enough. I also found out that there are a lot of cheap flights to Germany departing from Birmingham International Airport. Since I missed my actual return flight that time, I ended up buying a new. For a last minute flight, I guess 70.00 sterling pounds is not too bad. Lastly, I can say that I truly enjoyed my three weeks stay in England. It was fun and a lot of memories especially in Birmingham.

No comments:

ShareThis