Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My Euro Travel in Venice, Italy

Let's go to Venice in Italy this time! I regret that I did not made a lot of pictures as I visited Venice twice. The first time I was there was in October 2005 and the second time was in April 2006. The photo below was taken during my last visit. You can see in the photo I took below the St. Mark's Campanile or the Campanile di San Marco in Italian. It is the bell tower of St Mark's Basilica in Venice, Italy, located in the square (piazza) of the same name. It is one of the most recognizable symbols of the city.

You can also see the tower of the St. Mark's Ccathedral in the photo here. I hope I can find more photos in my file to share more about Venice, Italy. It's time to bid goodnight!


The tower is 98.6 metres (323 ft) tall, and stands alone in a corner of St Mark's Square, near the front of the basilica. It has a simple form, the bulk of which is a plain brick square shaft, 12 metres (39 ft) wide on each side and 50 metres (160 ft) tall, above which is the arched belfry, housing five bells. The belfry is topped by a cube, alternate faces of which show walking lions and the female representation of Venice (la Giustizia: Justice). The tower is capped by a pyramidal spire, at the top of which sits a golden weathervane in the form of the archangel Gabriel. The campanile reached its present form in 1514. As it stands today, however, the tower is a reconstruction, completed in 1912 after the collapse of 1902.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mark%27s_Campanile

No comments:

ShareThis