Thursday, October 16, 2014

Watching The Sinulog Festival in Cebu

Hello October! The golden month is here. I can already see and feel  that Autumn or Fall season is here. The leaves of the trees are already changing its colors from green to red, orange, yellow, pink, brown and what else?


I guess, the author of this blog is so busy nowadays. Indeed, she is! She works now full time and she hopes that she can give you updates from time to time but sad to say, her schedule is really hectic. yay!

I was browsing some albums in my external hard drive hoping to find some photographs taken during the Sinulog festival in Cebu City, Philippines. This festival is one of the famous in the country and it is held annually on the third Sunday of January. It is a religious festival in honour of the Santo Niño.


One of the main highlights of the festival is the grand street parade which lasts for 9 to 12 hours. Participants are coming from the different towns and cities of Cebu and from Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao across the Philippines. The Sinulog dance contingents are dressed in bright coloured costumes dancing gracefully to the rhythm of drums, trumpets and native gongs. I am wondering if any of the groups who participated during the festival ever use  Suzuki Harmonicas when they performe. I did not notice it the last time I watched it. I simply love listening to the beats of drums,  gongs and other musical  instruments.

I already witnessed Sinulog twice and still want to see it again in my next holiday in the Philippines. Hopefully soon!

No comments:

ShareThis